DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Worldwide port operator DP World reached a deal Thursday with one among Canada’s greatest pension-fund managers to pour a further $4.5 billion into their three way partnership of ports and terminals.
The brand new capital indicators a serious push to broaden and brings the full quantity invested by one of many world’s largest port operators and Canadian infrastructure investor Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec to $8.2 billion.
It additionally comes as DP World, grappling with an financial downturn worsened by the coronavirus pandemic, delists itself from buying and selling to turn out to be a completely personal, government-owned agency.
DP World and CDPQ agreed in 2016 to put money into 10 port terminals internationally. DP World stated the brand new settlement would “broaden its footprint” in areas the place it already operates and permit it to buy ports and terminals in Europe and Asia Pacific. DP World has a 55% share within the fund, with CDPQ holding the remaining 45%.
DP World runs operations as far east as Brisbane, Australia, and as far west as Prince Rupert, Canada. The corporate has expanded aggressively into East Africa, serving to the Emirati authorities wield affect farther afield.
However with the COVID-19 pandemic shutting borders and disrupting international provide chains, DP World’s income fell 56% in the course of the first half of the yr. Months earlier than, DP World began delisting from the Dubai inventory change, returning the corporate to full state-ownership to assist the Dubai authorities’s funding firm repay greater than $5 billion to banks.
DP World finally might be held by an entirely owned subsidiary of Dubai World, a authorities funding firm.
As international locations world wide reopen for enterprise, representatives from DP World and CDPQ stated they continue to be cautiously optimistic concerning the enterprise.
“Even throughout a uniquely difficult interval the ports sector has demonstrated a good diploma of resilience,” stated Emmanuel Jaclot, CDPQ’s government vp and head of infrastructure
Observe Isabel DeBre on Twitter at www.twitter.com/isabeldebre.